Saturday 24 November 2012

Hey Nollywood!!! Prepare For Tinsel Girl[Bimpe!],*Linda Ejiofor*



Critics who were attracted to the all glam premiere of the romantic comedy The Meeting held last Saturday at the Oriental Hotels in Lagos all had their fingers crossed. They were told prior to the premiere that someone else and not Rita Dominic, Kate Henshaw, Nse Ikpe Etim or Chika Chukwu would be lead in the star studded movie that was produced by Rita Dominic and Mildred Okwo-led The Audrey Silva Company (TASC).

‘Who would play the lead in a movie that is not in short supply of quality actors?’ they asked. Soon the credit lines and weight of performance revealed that the lead actress was the courteous, amiable, steady, intelligent and pretty Tinsel gel Linda Ejiofor. And their verdict when curtain drew on the near two-hour movie, which will open in cinemas across the country in a forth-night was clearly that the Abia-State born actress and Sociology graduate of the University of Port Harcourt ‘chewed her role’ and discharged it as though the role was written for her.

‘She was clearly on top of her game,’ remarked a critic who predicted that Linda Ejiofor (not in any way related to Nigerian international Chiwetal Ejiofor) would go places if she works with a good director and the right team. In fact, another clearly declared that Nollywood should prepare for Linda as there will be no stopping her from here. She spoke to SHAIBU HUSSEINI about The Meeting, career and life.

CONGRATULATIONS on your outing in The Meeting? When you sat down in the hall on the day of the premiere and watched your performance, how did you feel?

It felt good. I felt really happy, accomplished, fulfilled and most of all proud of the new phase my career has taken. I saw a lot of reactions around me and I thought to myself, Linda, this is the best decision you made in 2011 because that was when we started work. And I must say that the audience reaction has been very good. I get a couple of messages on twitter and facebook saying they loved my performance. Offers have started pouring in but I can’t give away any details but I have got a couple of projects lined up before the year ends. I am very particular about the offers I accept, as I want roles that challenge me.

Was that performance your first in any movie and how did you get on the set of the movie?

Yes it was my first major appearance in a full-length movie. Before then, I featured in a short movie titled National Cake about four years ago, after which I just decided to focus on Tinsel, but I got a call from the director of the The Meeting (Mildred Okwo) and decided to audition for the role and thankfully I impressed her.

You are on Tinsel. Is that your first too on television and what has been the experience?

I have been on the wave making Tinsel for five years now. Tinsel is my first love and the experience has been amazing. Yes, it is not always a walk in the park but I have come to consider the cast and crew as my other family.

Now tell me a bit about yourself. Who is Linda Ejiofor? Which part of Nigeria or the world are you from?


I hail from Abia State and was raised in Lagos. I am the second of five children. I attended Federal Government Girls’ College Onitsha and the University of Port Harcourt, where I bagged a degree in Sociology. I grew up with my parents and siblings. I attended boarding school but there were regular holidays at the end of each term. My siblings and I were mischievous growing up, so pranks were a constant thing in the Ejiofor household. I remember when I was about ten; my cousin and I were upstairs eating maize, and someone was cooking downstairs. It was like a party setting, so after eating the maize, we decided to throw the maize bud on the pot. I was reluctant at first, but on second thought, it looked like the cover was good, so we threw it and unfortunately for us, the cover wasn’t strong enough: the bud went into the person’s soup! It was like my softest prank, but the beating we got is unforgettable.

Now to acting, was it all you wanted to do from childhood or you had other career interest?

I never saw myself acting, but you know what they say: “Man proposes, but God disposes”. While waiting for NYSC, I got involved in modeling on a part time basis, and then on this significant day, my friend hits me up telling me about the Tinsel audition. I was reluctant at first, but then I gave it a shot and that’s how I got cast to play Bimpe. As a child, I had always wanted to work in advertising. But after being exposed to some acting on television, I switched career interest. The first point was after a couple of years playing Bimpe on Tinsel, a role I have grown to love dearly. One day, I looked and thought to myself, I can take this to another level. Then I started looking for an opportunity to act outside Tinsel, but the offers I was getting at that time were stereotypes of what I currently play on Tinsel. When the director called me to audition for The Meeting, I thought to myself, this is too good an opportunity to let slip away. So, I jumped at it most especially because Mildred Okwo is someone I respect, because of what she has achieved over the years. Sincerely, working with her on this project has been a fantastic learning experience. My inspiration is simply the drive to better myself.

Didn’t you have your parents objecting to your engaging the acting turf and don’t they have issues with you having to be ‘kissed’ if the role demands one?

I think objections are normal for every Nigerian parent. They object because they care about their kids. My parents are now supportive and as soon as they realized this was something I enjoyed, they came on board fully. My father is constantly telling everyone, my daughter is on TV.

You literarily ‘chewed’ the role in The Meeting. Your performance was too close to life. One would have felt that the performance of some of those established screen actors will dwarf your performance but you pulled through. What did you do extra?

My interpretation of my role in The Meeting was the result of an amazing director, hard work and a cast and crew that know their onions. I was determined to put my best foot forward and so, I worked extra hard to have that translate on film. I’m glad that it did. In one word, my experience on the set of The Meeting is “rewarding”. I would do it all over again without hesitation. And as for my performance being too close to life, I think the hallmark of a good actor is to have the audience believe in your character so completely that it blurs reality. I wasn’t reliving any old experience, I was simply doing my job: acting.


Tell me, who are your role models, acting and otherwise? What kind of books do you read, what is your food type, music type and what do you do when you are not working, like hobbies?

I consider Rita Dominic a role model when it comes to acting. I think she is very talented. I also love Zoe Saldana. I like eba and native soup. I read all sorts and watch movies religiously when I’m not working. I am attracted to honest and hardworking people and people who fear God. I love to marry a man who fears God because if you have that, every other thing will fall into place.

Would like to share your best onscreen moment, yet, with us?

Best onscreen moment is a lot difficult. There was a couple while I was shooting The Meeting and a handful on the set of Tinsel. The experience in The Meeting was mind-blowing. I always watch movies, but I didn’t know how things work back end wise. It is a lot of hard work and sweat. I won’t lie to you; being on the set of The Meeting opened my eyes to a whole new world. A lot of time is put into rehearsing, directing and producing a movie. The procedure is different from where I am coming from. I personally enjoyed interacting with Mildred, Femi Jacobs, Rita Dominic and Nse Ikpe Etim. Away from the camera, they have lovely personas.

Has your involvement in entertainment been rewarding?

(Laughs) Yes. It has. Let me just say that my take home pay helps pay my bills. But I am enjoying every bit of this so let’s take it one day at a time.

How far are you willing to go with acting?

As far as God takes me. But, for now, I just intend to improve on my art and be the best that I can be. Act more movies and continue to give my best on set when the opportunity arises. I would also be in touch with acting literatures and above all, put God first in everything I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment